Tuesday, November 30, 2010

SO YOU DO IT. WHEN YOU ARE DONE...



"You are serious about this?"


"Yes Alan, you handle it."


As I left Tom's office I pondered on how a bad day could become a good day in such a short time. But then I reined myself in. If I didn't save XYZ for the company my vice-presidency could be gone just as quick as it had arrived. The other problem, firing Chambers, would be no problem at all. I didn't like the son of a bitch and getting rid of him wouldn't bother me at all. I'd just have to be careful not to show too much joy when I did it.


++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


First order of business was to try to save the XYZ account. I called XYZ and asked to speak to Jim Hanson, the president, and I was put through to his secretary. I identified myself and surprisingly I was put right through to him. I told him who I was and that I had a matter of some sensitivity that I needed to discuss with him, but that I didn't want to do it over the phone and I asked him if I could schedule a meeting with him. I was hoping for sometime during the coming week, but was surprised again when he told me that the only time he could fit me in was at lunch time that day and asked me if I could meet him at the Marriott at noon.


At eleven fifty-five I was at the Marriott and I told the maitre de that I was there to meet Mr. Hanson and he informed me that Hanson was already there and had left word that he was expecting me. He led me to the table and Hanson stood up and we shook hands. As we sat down he said:


"They do a pretty good prime rib here. Now, what is this sensitive issue that couldn't be handled on the phone?"


"I suppose it could have been handled over the phone, but I felt a face to face was needed if my company is going to continue to do business with XYZ."


I explained the situation to him and informed him that Chambers would be terminated as soon as he returned from vacation.


"And from me you want?


"We want to keep your business."


"That's it? You just want to keep my business?"


"That's it."


"Could have been done with a phone call."


"Well, all I can say is that I couldn't be sure of that and your business is too important to us to be treated lightly."


The major topic out of the way we ate our lunch and made small talk until he said:


"What's got your attention on the other side of the room?"


"I didn't know I was being obvious. I was looking at that couple in the booth under the window."


He turned and looked and then said, "That's Sam Wycliff. He's an attorney with Biddle, Biddle and Walsh and the woman is his current girlfriend."


"His current girlfriend?"


"Yeah. She's been with him about three months now. That pretty much means that she is a short-timer."


"Short-timer?"


"Sam rarely stays with the same woman more than four months. Actually, I'm surprised he has stayed with this one as long as he has. She's married and he usually doesn't keep the married ones around this long."




"Are you sure she is his girlfriend? I know her and her husband and I thought they had a strong marriage."


"According to Sam the husband doesn't get the job done where it counts - in the bedroom."


"No possible mistake? Could he just be blowing smoke? You know, bragging to make himself look like a stud? No chance that this is just a business lunch?"


"Could be a business lunch, but as to the other? No, no mistake. She is what he says she is. I saw them at a party two weeks ago and she was all over him. You going to tell the husband?"


"No, I don't think so. He's a hell of a nice guy and I don't want to be the messenger bringing him the bad news. If, as you say, she is a short-timer maybe it will be over with and he'll never find out. Maybe it is just a fling on her part and once it is over she will go back to being who I always thought she was."


"You are a curious fellow."


"Why do you say that?"


"Tom picked you to handle the Chambers problem and that means that he thinks you are a hard ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment